Oh. My. Cod.

posted on: Thursday, May 9, 2013



I ordered this new cookbook this week and was excited to try some new recipes. I had a few meyer lemons on hand so I thought this simple cod dish sounded pretty good. Well I was wrong. It wasn't pretty good, it was one of the best fish dishes I've ever made. I'm noticing a trend with my obsession with lemons, so maybe it's just me, but this was to-die-for-good. I altered the recipe a bit, so here is my version:

Roasted Wild Cod with Meyer Lemon and Caper Relish

 Ingredients:

2 small to medium Meyer lemons
Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
2 tablespoons of champagne vinegar
2 tablespoons of honey
3 or 4 (5 oz) Wild Alaskan Cod Fillets (got mine at Trader Joes)
2 shallots, minced (about 3 Tbsp)
1/3 cup capers, rinsed, drained and coarsely chopped
5 tablespoons of freshly chopped flat-leaf parsley
 3 tablespoons of EVOO
1 Tbsp coconut oil
2 Tbsp butter

Do it:

Start the lemons preferable the day before and no fewer than four hours before you plan to devour, I mean eat this dish. Cut both ends off the lemons, cut in half lengthwise, and remove the seeds. Use a sharp knife to cut into thin wedges and then finely dice. Add the lemon pieces to a bowl with any juices that have puddled on the cutting board. Add 1 teaspoon of salt, the vinegar and honey and stir. Cover and leave at room temp for at least 4 hours, up to overnight. 

Remove the fish from the fridge and allow to come to room temp. and pat dry. Arrange the rack on your oven to the top third and preheat to 400. Add the shallots, capers, parsley and EVOO to the bowl with the lemon mixture and stir to combine. The mixture should be pretty wet. Season both sides of the fish with salt and pepper. Warm the coconut oil and 1 Tbsp of the butter in a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat and add the fish fillets to the pan without touching each other. Sear each side for about 2 minutes until just golden. Spoon the lemon relish on top of each fillet, allowing the liquid from the relish to drip into the pan as well. Add the remaining 1 Tbsp of butter to the pan and pop it in the oven until the fish is done (about 6 minutes). After removing the fish from the oven carefully transfer to a plate and and drizzle some pan sauce on top and then prepare for mouth orgasm.

 
My marinading lemons.

Relish done.

Right before going in the oven.

Viola!

3 comments:

  1. Ha small world Hugh Forte is my wedding photographer! I heard is wife had a fabulous cook book. Love your new blog/endeavor!
    I just read CLEAN by Alejandro Junger. Its life changing. I think you'd like it :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just got the cookbook yesterday!! Cant wait to get cookin'. Recipes look so fantastic. I'll put this one on my list of must-makes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks amazing, Mo! Can't wait to try this one. Love that you got almost everything at TJ's.

    ReplyDelete

Mosey's Kitchen All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger